A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.
-Maya Angelou

Monday, January 18, 2010

How will you answer Dr. King’s question?



"Life's most persistent and urgent question is : What are you doing for others? "
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

What a great motto to live by! I've tried to start the tradition in our house that Martin Luther King Day is " a day on, not a day off". You can see what we did last year here. This year I knew we wanted to do some service but I was having a hard time finding something organized in our city. We decided that we would again take pictures the kids colored around to residents at Chad's care center. Maybe that will be part of the yearly tradition. We also went to the store and bought some items to send in a soldier care package. Maddie and Ethan then made some cards to put in the care package. I also tried to evaluate how we did last year as far as service goes. While we did do some great things. We could have done more! I would love ideas for this year!

We are so blessed and know that there are many others who are suffering and in need around the world. What's happening in Haiti and around the world like in countries in Africa just makes my heart break. I know that some people get caught up in not wanting to help or contribute because there is so much corruption, but not helping in whatever way we can just hurts those who are suffering the most. Our Savior is of course the best example we will ever have of providing great service for others whether we receive it in the way He would prefer or not. He is unconditional love. Soooo...count your blessings....and share them with others. It always puts a smile on everyone's face. :)

"The time is always right to do the right thing"
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this Amy. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I hope I can be as good as an example to my kids like you are to yours! Love that you do this!