A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.
-Maya Angelou
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Blessings
This week has been a bit scary for us. We got home from Disneyland last Sunday (I will post pictures soon). Around Friday night and especially Saturday while we were still in California Emma started to get sick with a cold. We could tell she didn't feel great and wasn't eating the best or sleeping that well. The plane ride home was a little long but she was okay. Monday she was a little worse but it still seemed like a decent cold she was fighting. She had a low grade fever and clear runny nose and a little cough so we just watched it but didn't take her in to the doctor. By Tuesday night though she had started to go downhill pretty quickly. She was sleeping alot and Tuesday night we could tell it was starting to progress so we decided we would take her in first thing in the morning. Wednesday morning she looked awful. She could hardly hold her head up or keep her eyes open. She was also starting to breathe a little shallow and she just looked sick. I called the doctor's office and they didn't have one appointment open for that day so they sent us to another clinic. As I was driving there I could see how labored her breathing really was and I was getting really worried. I would have gone to the ER but I was already driving in the opposite direction and was closer to the clinic. After 2 hours of being in the doctors office getting awful chest x-rays, oxygen level tests, breathing treatment, oxygen, RSV test, and lots of consultation the doctor called the ambulance and decided that her breathing was now so labored and she looked so sick that she wanted her to have oxygen as we went to the hospital. Emma has RSV and it had progressed quickly and was affecting her breathing and oxygen levels. They wanted to keep her in the hospital for at least 24 hours to watch her and give her treatments with the nebulizer. They also gave her IV fluids to keep her from dehydrating. It was so sobering riding in that ambulance with her and seeing her in the hospital crib with tubes hooked to her and I am so thankful that it wasn't more serious. I know that many parents have had to watch their children get very sick and even the unthinkable and I can't even imagine the depths of that fear and sorrow. Thankfully she is doing great and was able to go home after 24 hours. It's amazing the turn around she is experiencing. I'm so glad Chad and his dad were able to give her a blessing and I know it has helped. The difference between Wed. and Thurs. is remarkable. I knew Emma would join our family long before she came and I can't imagine our life without her. She turns 1 tomorrow and what a great blessing she has been in our lives this past year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
These pictures make me want to cry! Im so glad our little Emma Bug is doing better!
Oh Amy, how scary! I'm so glad it turned out to be something easily treatable. You must have been so scared, and I'm so glad that the worst seems to be over. Scary how fast that can happen. And doctors wonder why we moms take our kids to the doctor for every cough and fever!!
I am glad she is doing better. RSV is scary. Boston got it when he was just a few months. I was so scared this time I have been extra careful. I hope you are all ok and Emma continues to get better.
Aww amy that pic is sad! but i am glad she is doing so much better! i love lil emma girl!
Oh what a sweetheart she is. This is so awful! I am sorry about Emma and all the mommy stress that comes along with RSV. It scares me. I was just starting to relax about my little one going out and being loved too much by her sisters. Its a good reminder to do lots of hand washing. I am so glad she is better.
Post a Comment